|Photo of Broccoli and Shrimp Lo Mein / CE Watson|
Easy and Delicious Broccoli Lo Mein
8 - 10 oz lo mein or spaghetti noodles
4-5 cups broccoli florets (fresh or frozen)
1 tbsp oil (olive or vegetable oil)
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 medium carrot, peeled and shredded
1/3 cup soy sauce (low-sodium preferred)
1/4 tesp ground ginger
1/4 tesp crushed red peppers
1/4 tesp black pepper
(Sweet red sauce or Hoisen sauce can be added also - about 2 tbsp.)
1. In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, red sauce, and spices and wisk until blended. Set aside.
2. In large pot of boiling water, cook the noodles according to the instructions on the box. Add the broccoli the last 7-8 minutes and cook until broccoli is tender.
3. Drain the noodles and broccoli.
4. While the noodles and broccoli are cooking, heat the oil in a medium skillet. Add the garlic and carrots and cook for about 5 minutes. Carrots should be slightly brown but still firm.
5. Add the noodles and broccoli to the skillet and toss with the soy sauce and spices until well coated.
You can include cooked shrimp or strips of cooked beef, chicken, or pork for variety. If using raw meat, brown it in the skillet until it is no longer pink but still tender and then add the garlic and carrots; continue cooking until carrots are tender but still firm.
|Free Image Courtesy of Dover Prints|